stock apps

http://android.modaco.com/topic/318375-how-to-manual-mod/page__view__findpost__p__1412213
stock apps

I found stock apps from elsewhere. Refer post# 8 from starkos for the contacts apps.
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
Gallery_1.1.30682.apk
Music.apk


and replaced these in /system/app/
Contacts.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
Gallery.apk
Music.apk


market updates
I removed these apps in /system/app/, as the market had updated them in /data/app/.
Vending.apk
Maps.apk
Street.apk
DocumentToGo.apk


caveat

I lost a lot of time due to not understanding how "data" works. When we replace any apps, we need to wipe not just dalvik-cache, but data too. I was only wiping dalvik-cache, without wiping data, and I got a lot of acores/FCs for some apps (specifically Contacts). Refer post# 9.

I had to wipe not just dalvik-cache, which is what I had been doing along, but was not sufficient. More importantly, I had to wipe data, or specifically clear /data/data/com.android.contacts and /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts. Once I did so, I received no further errors, and the stock Contacts worked fine. I lost all contacts, but the next sync downloaded all of my google contacts. Thankfully, I never keep any contacts on the phone.

To wipe dalvik-cache, clear out /data/dalvik-cache/.
$ rm /data/dalvik-cache/*

To clear out data, identify the specific apps. In my case, I had issues with contacts. These were provided by two apps - Contacts.apk and ContactsProvider.apk. If you search within /data/data, you can find the corresponding files - /data/data/com.android.contacts and /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts.

$ rm -r /data/data/com.android.contacts/*
$ rm -r /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/*


to-do
please help with below...

what are the other stock apps that i can update? where do i find them?

how can i make my phone more vanilla (i.e android standard build)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

most viewed